Monday, November 27, 2006

Space Coast Marathon
Sunday, November 26, 2006
Cocoa, Florida

I race walked the Space Coast Marathon. It was a beautiful day--sunny and warm with enough wind to stop me from getting too hot. It was a small event with 200 in the marathon and 400 in the half marathon; however, it was well run with plenty of support. The course was a double out and back along the Indian River. This was the fourth year in a row that I did this event.
The event started Saturday in Port Canaveral with a pasta dinner that was included in the entry fee. The guest speaker was Bart Yasso of Runner's World. He showed pictures and told stories of marathons and ultra marathons that he has run throughout the world, which included Antarctica, Mount Everest, Badwater, and East Africa. Most of his runs occurred several years ago. He was very entertaining. They also had a former astronaut speak. He was a comander of one of the space shuttle missions. I don't remember his name.
I addition to doing the race, I was able to tour the Kennedy Space Center, the old village of Cocoa, and the beach area of Cocoa Beach. I took a lot of pictures which will be displayed in later postings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home