Tuesday, January 16, 2007

PF Chang Rock and Roll Arizona Marathon
Phoenix, Arizona
Sunday, January 14, 2007

I race walked the PF Chang Rock and Roll Arizona Marathon on Sunday, January 14, 2007. It was cold. The temperature at the start was 29 and by the end of my marathon it was around 40. Fortunately it was sunny with almost no wind. The course was flat and even though there were 16000+ in the marathon, the course was not crowded. This was accomplished by using multiple traffic lanes throughout. I had plenty of space after the first half mile. Even the water stations, which were located about every mile, were on both sides of the road, covering much distance, so as not to be too crowded.
The half marathon, which had 27000+ participants, started at a different time and used a completely different course. I was told it was somewhat crowded.
There were live bands almost every mile and you could hear music almost continuously throughout the course. The volunteers were wonderful and numerous and the police closed the side roads a full block away from the course. There were many spectators; however, not as many as was at the Marine Corps Marathon or Disney World Marathon. I think the cold kept many away. The event was very well organized. It is a good course to get a PR and I got my best time of the season-- 5:00:38.
There was a free concert on Sunday evening; however, I did not go as I had enough of the cold for one day.
The event also featured many world class athletes as there was big prize money for the elite athletes. Unlike last year, no world records were set.
I have a few pictures of the Phoenix area which will be posted in a later posting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home