Tuesday, July 31, 2007

San Francisco Marathon
San Francisco, California
Sunday, July 29, 2007

I race walked the San Francisco Marathon in San Francisco, California on Sunday, July 29, 2007. It was perfect weather as the temperature varied from 55 to 68 with a little breeze. As is normal at this time of year, there was fog on most of the course. The first three miles and the last two miles of the course were flat, while the rest was hilly as expected. Some of the hills were quite challenging; however, I managed them well.
The race started near the Ferry Terminal, went along the piers, past Fisherman’s Wharf and Alcatraz out in the Bay, through Fort Mason, up to the Golden Gate Bridge, across the bridge, back across the bridge, down along the Pacific coast, up and down to Golden Gates Park, back and forth through the park, up and down and through the Haight-Asbury District, up and down to the north water front, along AT&T Stadium, and back to the Ferry Terminal. It was a very interesting course which, unfortunately, was hard to see because of the fog. When I was on the Golden Gates Bridge, I could not see the water or the top of the bridge due to the fact that the fog was so thick that it made everything wet like it was raining.
By afternoon each day the fog lifted and I was able to see everything that was hidden during the race. I also went to see Chinatown and Lombard Street. I am glad that the course did not take me any where near the top of Lombard Street. I’ll save my mountain climbing for Pike’s Peak in three weeks.
Pictures from my trip can be seen on later postings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home