Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pike’s Peak Marathon
Manitou Springs, Colorado
Sunday, August 19, 2007

On Sunday, August 19, 2007 I began the most challenging race I have ever entered, the Pike’s Peak Marathon. The race started in Manitou Springs at an elevation of 6295 feet, proceeds up to Pike’s Peak at an elevation of 14115 feet, and finally returns to Manitou Springs. The first 1.5 miles were on the streets of Manitou Springs then proceeded to the summit using the Barr Trail. The field was limited to 800 participants who, once reaching the trail, were basically funneled into a single line for the trip up the mountain. I did not expect most of the trail to be a narrow rut about 3 feet wide, strewn with boulders you had to climb over, around, and between. There was no way I could race walk. I had to constantly stop and start as the line reached obstacles. Also when the path widened for short distances, you could try to pass; however, the footing would be treacherous and it would be hard to get back in the line. Around mile 8, runners began to appear that were coming back down the mountain. They had the right of way, so when they approached, I had to quickly find a way to let them by. By mile 10, I became totally disgusted. I also began to realize that going back down the mountain was going to require much abnormal stepping which surely would cause a serious injury to my knees. Down hills are hard on my knees in a normal race walk. I was mentally destroyed and decided that when I reached the top, I was going to quit. After mile 11, which was above the timber line, I began experiencing the effects of the high altitude. Because I was no longer interested in finishing, I stopped several times, got off the trail, and sat on a boulder to enjoy the view which was spectacular. Eventually I reached the summit. I beat the cut off time and could have returned down the mountain.
I quit anyway as I had no desire to tear up my knees doing an event that I was not enjoying. I would rather save my body to race another day. This was my first DNF; however, I made the correct decision and have no regrets about stopping. I did reach the top, 7815 feet above where I started.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home