Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Foot Traffic Flat Marathon
Sauvie Island, Oregon
Saturday, July 4, 2009

The fourth of July saw me race walk the Foot Traffic Flat Marathon on Sauvie Island near Portland, Oregon. The temperature started at 58 degrees and climbed to 80 degrees by the time I finished the event. The skies were cloudless and there was no wind, making the event somewhat hot. The course was mostly flat on the paved roads of the island and about a 200 yards section of loose gravel having treacherous footing. The roads remained opened to traffic and the participants had to remain on the right side of most roads which made traffic approach from my back. There was little shoulder on most of the roads. As a result, I was somewhat uncomfortable with the traffic. I much prefer to walk towards traffic so I can see any danger approaching. Water stations were located between 2.5 and 4 miles apart which for me were located much too far apart and caused me to dehydrate on this hot day even though I drank 2 to 4 glasses of liquid at each station. There were plenty of enthusiastic volunteers at each station. For electrolyte drinks most of the stations were provided with Heed, a drink that has no noticeable value as far as I am concerned. The finisher medal was the worst that I have ever received. After the race participants were served strawberry shortcake and hot dogs which were delicious. It is doubtful that I will do this race again.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home