Sunday, January 10, 2010

Disney World Half Marathon
Kissimmee, Florida
Saturday, January 9, 2010

As I walked to the staging area for the Disney World Half Marathon held on Saturday, January 9, 2010 with the temperature hovering near 32 degrees, the exposed skin on my face was pelted by sleet and chilled by the wind. I wondered if the race had somehow been moved to my home state, Ohio. No! I was still in Florida near Orlando and about to endure the most miserable weather that I have ever experienced during a race. The sleet continued intermittently for the first hour of the race. Finally it stopped for about half an hour, then a light drizzle that gradually increased in intensity soaked my clothes and shoes for the rest of the event. I became extremely cold as I headed from the finish line to my car. The volunteers at the water/Powerade stations located every 1.5 to 2 miles were exceptionally wonderful as they cheerfully and enthusiastically handed out the liquid even though they had to be miserable from the nasty weather conditions. I want to personally thank each and every one of them and all the other volunteers who ensured that the race proceeded smoothly. As always the Disney event was extremely well organized and despite the miserable weather I enjoyed the event.
I have done the Goofy Challenge for the first four years that it existed and had entered it this year also. However, last August I made a decision to only do half marathons and give up my chance to be Perfectly Goofy and receive a special award for doing my fifth straight Goofy Challenge. The program for this year’s event had my name listed among the approximate two hundred participants who were eligible for the award. It was a good decision as I do not think my left knee could have taken the extra training and distance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home