Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lost Dutchman Half Marathon
Apache Junction, Arizona
Sunday, February 14, 2010

I began race walking the Lost Dutchman Half Marathon in Apache Junction, Arizona as the sun appeared in the clear skies over the Superstition Mountains on Valentine’s Day, Sunday, February 14, 2010. The temperature was 51 degrees with a 6 mph wind. Within half an hour the temperature rose into the 60’s. Water/Heed stations were located approximately every mile and were manned by plenty of enthusiastic volunteers. Heed in my least favorite sports drink out of all that I have tasted. It bothers my stomach and does nothing to rejuvenate me. The out and back course was a series of gradual up and down hills with the elevation varying no more than 75 feet throughout the entire course. The few intersections in the rural road course were controlled by police and volunteers. For the most part the course was closed to traffic; however, a few residents living along the course used the road and were very respectful to the participants. The event is very well organized and completely enjoyable.

The snow storms in the Southeastern United States almost caused me to not get to the event. I planned to arrive in Phoenix on Friday during the afternoon; however, Delta Airlines called me at 10:30 PM on Thursday and informed me that my flight from Atlanta to Phoenix on Friday was cancelled and I was rebooked to arrive in Phoenix at 9:45 PM on Saturday. After an extended discussion with Delta trying to get me there earlier, it was determined that this was the best that could be done. Normally that would mean that I would have to miss the event as the race number and chip can not be picked up on race day. Fortunately for me the Lost Dutchman Half Marathon allows the race number and chip (D-tag) to be picked up on race morning at 5:30 AM. I could still do the race, but would get very little sleep.

My Saturday trip to Phoenix was one delay after another. My flight from Key West to Atlanta was 1.5 hours late leaving and 0.5 hours sitting on the tarmac waiting for the gate to become available. Fortunately I had 3 hours between flights. My flight to Phoenix left 0.5 hours late and I arrived in Phoenix at 10:15 PM. I picked up my luggage and rental car and drove to my motel. It was now 11:15 PM. The motel had overbooked and given my credit card guaranteed room to someone else. They did call around and find a more expensive motel at which I arrived at 12:15 AM on race morning. It was 1:00 AM that I got to bed and I had a hard time sleeping. I had to get up at 4:30 AM in order to proceed to the event. Needless to say I was extremely tired, but surprisingly my race time was only affected a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home