Monday, October 31, 2011

New Orleans Jazz Half Marathon
New Orleans, Louisiana
Saturday, October 29, 2011

Success!!! When I finished the New Orleans Jazz Half Marathon in New Orleans, Louisiana on Saturday, October 29, 2011, I completed my quest. I now have finished both a full marathon and a half marathon in each of the 50 states plus Washington D.C. For the race the weather cooperated nicely as the temperature varied from 52 to 58 degrees and the skies were clear and sunny. There was a strong wind the varied between 15 and 25 miles per hour with higher gusts; however, for most of the course trees and buildings shelter the participants from the strongest breezes. As would be expected in New Orleans, the course was flat and featured famous sights of the city such as: the convention center, the Superdome, Audubon Park, Tulane and Loyola Universities, and the beautiful mansions along St. Charles Street. Water stations were located approximately every two miles and had plenty of enthusiastic volunteers to take care of the needs of the participants. Surprisingly there were not many spectators along the route except at the start and finish lines. The course was completely closed to traffic and each intersection had one to four police officers to ensure the safety of the participants. The third installment of the New Orleans Jazz Half Marathon had approximately 2100 finishers and was a very well organized, fun event to do.
The brace that I wear on my left knee once again allowed me the complete the half marathon with minimal discomfort until mile 11. I think I will wait until after the Holidays to have my knee replacement surgery; after which I plan to stop competitive race walking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home