Monday, November 28, 2011

Space Coast Half Marathon
Cocoa, Florida
Sunday, November 27, 2011

I race walked the Space Coast Half Marathon on Sunday, November 27, 2011 in Cocoa, Florida. The temperature was a little warm as it remained in the 70’s for the entire event. The skies were overcast for the most part and there was a strong southeast wind. The course was relatively flat as it went out and back along the Indian River. Water/Gatorade stations were located approximately every mile throughout the course and were manned by plenty of enthusiastic volunteers. There were some spectators along the route and a large number in the finish area. This year’s event was the 40th anniversary and featured a beach towel, a patch, and an extremely nice medal to all finishers. The event was extremely well organized and fun to do as usual. Once again I was able to talk to former astronaut, Mike McCulley, who participated in the half marathon and is a very wonderful person.
I got a couple of bonuses on my trip. On Saturday, November 26, 2011 I got to watch the launching of the rocket to Mars from and ideal spot along the Banana River. It was quite exciting. However, on Sunday after the race I had an even more exciting event. I went over to Canaveral National Seashore and viewed a Florida Panther crossing the road in front of me. That is an event that very few people have been lucky enough to see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home