Monday, January 16, 2012

Palm Coast Half Marathon
Palm Coast, Florida
Sunday, January 15, 2012

I race walked the Palm Coast Half Marathon in Palm Coast, Florida on Sunday, January 15, 2012. It was cold as the temperature varied from 37 to 45 degrees. There was very little wind and sunny skies. The course was flat except for two trips across a bridge high enough to allow sailboat to pass under near miles 1 and 7 and utilized about 33% roadways and 67% bike paths and driveways. There were water/Gatorade stations located approximately every 2 miles. The first 4 had plenty on enthusiastic volunteers and the remaining two had been abandoned by the volunteers after less than 2 ½ hours even though participants were allowed to have 4 hours to complete the course. Fortunately at these two stations there were plenty of cups of water and Gatorade left on the table so I had no hydration problems. Police and volunteers controlled the intersections and course marshals were locate at turns along the bike paths that were used. Some of the course marshals had also disappeared after 2 ½ hours; however, there were chalk arrows drawn on the pavement marking all of the turns so I did not have any trouble following the course. Dean Reinke, who is directing 29 half marathons throughout the USA this year, was the race director of this second year event that I enjoyed completing. My left knee is still supported by my brace which allows me to continue race walking until I have my knee replacement surgery on February 20, 2012.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home