Sunday, May 05, 2013

Twin Lights Half Marathon
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Sunday, May 5, 2013

On Sunday, May 5, 2013 I race walked the Twin Lights Half Marathon in Gloucester, Massachusetts. The temperature remained in the low 50’s with a light breeze and mostly sunny skies. The course was very challenging as it was very hilly for the 1200 participants. The roads were not closed to traffic and the participants had to remain on the right side of the mostly out and back course with their backs to the traffic which was somewhat heavy but fortunately travelled at a slow rate of speed. Water/Gatorade stations were located approximately every two miles. There was a sufficient amount of enthusiastic volunteers to take care of the needs of the participants. The event was very well organized; however, the awards were not very impressive. There were no finisher’s medals and age group awards were small medals with no engraving; thus, every place received exactly the same award, a silver dollar sized medal showing an image of the twin light houses on a plain purple ribbon. A highlight of the event for me was my second place age group finish as a male runner in the 65 to 69 age group; even though I race walked the entire distance. It is normal for me to count as a runner in most of the events that I do as there usually is not a competitive walking division. As a result it is very unusual for me to earn an age group award. I enjoyed the event and the challenging hilly course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home