Thursday, May 12, 2016

Shiprock Half Marathon
Shiprock, New Mexico
Saturday. May 7, 2016

As I was waiting for the bus to take me to the start line of the Shiprock Half Marathon in Shiprock, New Mexico on Saturday. May 7, 2016, the temperature was 46 degrees and the wind was blowing 15-20 mph with much higher gusts creating much blowing dust and there was some rain even though this was a desert race.  I decided to dress warmer than a tee shirt and shorts so I added a long sleeve thermal shirt under my tee shirt and long warm-up thermal pants over my shorts and a head cap.  When I arrived at the start line about 30 minutes before the start, conditions were the same and it seemed like the proper outfit; however, I noticed about 15 minutes before the start the wind had almost stopped and the edge of clear skies was creeping towards the race course.  All of the participants were faced with a dilemma as to what to wear.  I decided the new conditions were going to prevail and removed the extra clothes, placing them in my gear bag and wore just the tee shirt and shorts.  I made the right decision.  The course was a point to point path utilizing two highways, the first, covering 7 miles, had two lanes one of which was dedicated to the approximately 1300 participants with just over 200 in the marathon, just under 700 in the half marathon, and about 120 relay teams, each having 5 members and the other lane dedicated to the relay buses and other vehicles utilized by the event.  The other highway was a four lane divided highway with wide shoulders where one shoulder and the adjacent lane was completely dedicated to the participants.  These roads have the unique property that there is no housing or sided roads until the last mile of the course.  Water/Gatorade stations were spaced two miles apart for the first 3 and one mile apart after that.  There were plenty friendly efficient volunteers to take care of the needs of the participants.  The event is completely held on the Navajo Indian Reservation near the Four Corner Region.  Shiprock is a major rock formation that is the remains of an ancient volcano and rises about 1500 feet above the surrounding land.  It can be seen from all directions from a distant of as far as 70 miles away.  I have done this well organized, interesting, fun event three times and the event has existed for more than 30 years.  The Navajo People have really taken an interest in running.  The first time I did the event about 15-20% of the field were of minority ethnicity, now the event has 75-80% Navajo and Hispanic origin.  In fact one Navajo woman who did the half marathon, named Linnabak Snyder, just participated in the US Marathon Olympic Trials.  A sad note hung over the race as a local eleven year old Navajo girl, named Ashlynne Mike, was raped and murdered on May 1, 2016 between the start line and the Shiprock formation.  The race was dedicated to the memory of this young girl who suffered such a tragic event (the perpetrator has been arrested).  On a happier note for me I had another outstanding time that was only 2 seconds slower than my performance on Ohio and I managed to earn first place in my running age group even though I walked the entire distance.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home