Sunday, November 06, 2016

Monumental Half Marathon
Indianapolis, Indiana
Saturday, November 5, 2016

On Saturday, November 5, 2016 I race walked the Monumental Half Marathon in Indianapolis, Indiana.  I was a perfect day for a race as the temperature varied from 42 to 52 degrees with almost no wind for the more than 15000 participants in the Marathon, Half Marathon, and 5K.  The course was almost flat on paved roads that were completely closed to traffic and allowed no cross traffic.  The numerous friendly police officers controlled the course.  The water/Gatorade stations were located approximately every 1.5 miles and had many tables on both sides of the road with plenty of friendly, efficient, enthusiastic volunteers; however, the number of participants caused crowding most of the time when I was at a station.  There were many spectators along the entire course cheering and encouraging the participants as well as much recorded and live music being played or performed.  My friend from San Antonio, Texas, Larry Macon, was there doing his 1797th marathon in his career.  This is the third time I have done the Monumental Half Marathon and my performance was outstanding as I race walked a time of 2:32:06.  I have now completed 193 race walking half marathons of which 115 have been completed since I had my left knee replaced on February 20, 2012 and started doing half marathons again on October 21, 2012 after my recovery and rehabilitation.  The first seven from January 10, 2009 and earlier and the 24th in Little Rock, Arkansas on March 7, 2010 are the only ones that had faster times.  The event has always been well organized and fun to do.



Me at the exposition, before the race, and after the race






Me and Larry Macon and two other Marathon Maniacs



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home