Monday, June 05, 2017

Steamboat Springs Half Marathon
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Sunday, June 4, 2017

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 I race walked the Steamboat Springs Half Marathon in Steamboat Springs, Colorado.  The course is a point to point journey on County Road 129 and US Highway 40.  While I was waiting for the bus to take me to the start line, I saw a bear wondering through Steamboat Springs about ½ block from me.  The bus took me to the start line which was located at an elevation of about 7100 feet and a temperature of 44 degrees, sunny skies and almost no wind.  One lane of the road was dedicated to the runners and a pilot car was used to lead the traffic in the other lane alternating the direction.  County Road 129 was used for the first eleven miles of the journey down to Steamboat Springs which has an elevation of about 6700 feet and a temperature of about 60 degrees when I finished.  The road had much up and down parts with one moderately challenging up near mile 9 followed by a steep one mile down thereafter.  The two miles on US40 used the side of the road and was a gradual down with a little bit of up.  Water/Powerade stations were located at mile 3, 4, 7.5, 9, and 11 and were manned by plenty of volunteers who took care of the needs of the approximately 1000 participants in the half marathon.  There was also a very challenging marathon as well as a 10K and kids run.  I would have preferred the water/Powerade stations to be spaced more regularly and have 1 or 2 more stations.  The finisher’s medal and age group awards were less than impressive when compared to other events.  I have done this well-organized fun event three times.








A bear appears while I am Waiting for the bus to take me to the start line




Before the race




After the race with my friends Karen and Carl Johnson



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home