Saturday, May 05, 2018


Shiprock Half Marathon

Shiprock, New Mexico

Saturday, May 5, 2018



On Saturday, May 5, 2018 I completed the Shiprock Half Marathon on the Navajo Reservation in Shiprock, New Mexico.  The start of the Half Marathon was to MOST UNFAIR start of any race I have ever entered or watched.  The course is a point to point course on paved roads that were for the first 7 miles completely closed to traffic and for remaining distance was on a four lane divided highway that had one lane and a wide shoulder dedicated to the 755 participants who finished the half marathon and the participants of the full marathon and marathon relay.  There were no cross traffic and only a few driveways in the last mile.  Police patrolled keeping everyone safe.  Everyone had to ride a bus to their start areas from Shiprock High School.  The half marathon buses where to leave at 7:30 for the 8:15 start.  I arrived at 6:50 to be sure to catch my bus.  Buses for the half marathon started loading at 7:20, one bus at a time making sure to fill all the seats.  My bus arrived at the debarking spot about 7:50 there were about 10 buses in front of mine and eventually at least 10 more buses after mine.  Buses where unloaded and turned around one at a time, a process that took about 4 minutes per bus.  This debarking spot was nearly 1/3 of a mile from the start line and the porta-potties were about half way between.  At 8:05 I am still on my bus with about 5 buses in front of me and all the buses behind me still waiting to be unloaded.  We talked our bus driver into letting us off which she did even though she was not supposed to do this.  When I arrived at the 15 porta-potties, there were about 200 participants trying to use them.  Also I could hear down the road several officials yelling that the race was going to begin in 2 minutes.  No pit stop for me.  I glanced behind me and saw there were several buses still waiting to be unloaded.  I kept walking to the start line figuring that if the race starts, the chip on my bib would allow me to statt somewhat late and still get an accurate time.  After all there were several hundred participants that were further from the start than me.  The race started when I was still 100 yards from the start.  I walked around the start structure and discovered that there was no start mat.  The race was going to use GUN TIME.  Many participants were running to the start line and many others just joined the race without actually going to the start line.  I started my watch as I crossed the start line which was about 2 minutes after the gun start.  The rest of the event was more normal.  The temperature varied from 48 to 70 degrees with completely sunny skies and little breeze.  Water/Electrolyte stations were located every 1 to 1.5 miles and were manned by plenty of friendly efficient volunteers.  I won second place in my 70 plus running age group which had four participants.  The first place finisher was 37 minutes ahead of me and the third and fourth place finishers were 24 and 45 minutes behind me respectively.  Even with the unfair start, I earned my Handmade Indian Pottery award fairly.  A final problem occurred in the parking lot as it took a full hour to exit.  I have done this half marathon event 5 times and will have to consider long and hard whether I want to do it again.



 The Exposition




Race Director




Navajo Codde Whisperer from World War II





The Course




Before The Race




After The Race





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home