Saturday, May 11, 2013

Spring Half Marathon
Shelburne, Vermont
Saturday, May 11, 2013

I race walked the Spring Half Marathon in Shelburne, Vermont on Saturday, May 11, 2013. I really got lucky with the weather. The forecast called for an 80% chance of continuous rain; however, for some reason it did not rain except for a few drops. The temperature was in the low 60’s with a 10 mph wind that was usually sheltered by the trees. The course was challenging with many ups and downs, including at least 8 up-hills that were fairly steep. There was about 9 miles of rural roads that were not closed to traffic which was for the most part sparse and 4 miles of gravel trails. The view was impressive with Lake Champlain and farms. A few police controlled intersections and other volunteers were at the turns. Water/electrolyte stations were located about every 3.5 miles and manned by plenty of enthusiastic volunteers. I wish the stations were more numerous and closer together as I became quite dehydrated despite drinking two full glasses of liquid at each station. This was a small very well organized half marathon that only had 132 finishers in the 3 hour time limit. The age group awards were only for first place and consisted of a glass the said Race Vermont and nothing else. For the second week in a row I won an age group runner’s award. This time it was first place because I was the only finisher in my age group. I enjoyed the event and the friendly people involved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home