Saturday, April 26, 2014

Lake Minneola Half Marathon Clermont, Florida Saturday, April 26, 2014 On Saturday, April 26, 2014 I race walked the Lake Minneola Half Marathon in Clermont, Florida. It was hot as the temperature started at 70 degrees and climbed into the 80’s by the time I finished on this sunny and almost windless day. The course, which consisted of 8 miles of paved bike paths and 5 miles of roadways around the lake, was advertised as flat; however, that was not exactly accurate. There was about 8 miles of flat terrain and 5 miles of hills on the bike path, two of the hills were somewhat challenging with 150 feet of altitude change. On the roads the participants had a lane that was closed to traffic. Water/Gatorade stations were located about 1.5 miles apart and were manned by plenty of enthusiastic volunteers. Unfortunately for the participants in the last half of the field, at least 4 of the stations ran out of supplies. At the first of these stations they gave me a cup of ice as the water and Gatorade was gone. I decided that I better keep the cup with me and it was fortunate as the next station had no cups. At the following two stations I filled my cup with water and Gatorade which caused an extra cup to be available for participants behind me. There were friendly police officers controlling traffic at the few intersections and places where the bike trail crossed a road. With the exception of the above mentioned water/Gatorade stations, the event was well organized and fun to do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vanessa Cotto said...

Thank you! I'm considering registering for the 2015 race and appreciate your feedback

7:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home