Sunday, January 08, 2017

First Light Half Marathon
Mobile, Alabama
Sunday, January 8, 2017

On Sunday, January 8, 2017 I race walked the First Light Half Marathon in Mobile, Alabama.  It was cold with the temperature varying between 25 and 35 degrees with a light wind and sunny skies.  The course was flat on paved city streets that were either closed to traffic or had a dedicated lane reserved for the participants.  There were many police and volunteers controlling the numerous intersections.  Water/Powerade stations were located approximately every 1.5 to 2 miles and had plenty of volunteers taking care of the participants. I am extremely appreciative of all the volunteers and police that tended their duties in a friendly, efficient manner despite the extremely cold weather.  This is the first time I have done this event and found it to be very well organized and fun to do.  The Mississippi Blues race and the First Light race have been paired together on the first Saturday and Sunday in January as it is only about a three hour drive between the two cities.  They offer a special medal to anyone who completes both events.  Normally I do not do two events in the same weekend; however, when I realized that the Mississippi Blues race would be my 198th half marathon, I added the First Light event to be number 199.  In that way I would reach number 200 in my home town when I do the Key West Half Marathon on January 15, 2017.  With the cancelling of the Mississippi Blues event because of a terrible ice storm, Key West will be 199 and Miami on January 29, 2017 will be number 200.  At least I was able to complete one race and not waste all that time and money.


 The Race Exposition



Before the race




After the race



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home