Sunday, January 15, 2017

Key West Half Marathon
Key West, Florida
Sunday, January 15, 2017

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 I race walked in my home town the Key West Half Marathon in Key West, Florida.  It was a nice day for the event which had approximately 4500 entries in  the Half Marathon and 5K.  The temperature varied from 72 to 75 degrees with approximately 10 mph wind and mostly sunny skies.  The course was on city roads that had dedicated lanes for the participants as well as paved bike paths passing by many of the places for which Key West is famous.  The course was almost completely flat which would be expected for an island city with a highest natural elevation of 17 feet.  There were numerous police and volunteers at all of the intersections ensuring the cross traffic and participants remain separated and safe.  Water/electrolyte stations were located from 1 to 1.5 miles apart and manned by plenty of enthusiastic, friendly, efficient volunteers who were mostly retired navy personnel and their spouses as well as high school students.  The race was very well organized and fun to do.  I have done this half marathon event seven years in a row.  This half marathon was my 199th half marathon to go with my 135 marathons.  The event was planned to be my 200th but I am one short because on January 7, 2017 the Mississippi Blues Half Marathon was cancelled because of a terrible ice storm.



Me at the race exposition





My wife, Gerda, at the race exposition






Me before the race







Me after the race






My wife and I with friends at the race









Me with other friends at the race









The band playing at the post race party



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home