Saturday, May 12, 2018


Sand Bar Half Marathon

Englewood, Florida

Saturday, May 12, 2018



I completed the Sand Bar Half Marathon in Englewood, Florida on Saturday, May 12, 2018.  It was a little warm as the temperature varied from 76 to 79 degrees with overcast skies, high humidity and little breeze.  The course was entirely flat featuring a double out and back journey on Manasota Key Road, one of 11.6 miles on the North side of Sand Bar Tiki and Grill and the other of 1.5 miles on the south side.  The road was not closed to traffic and the 250 participants had to share the road with vehicles which fortunately were not very numerous.  Water stations varied in distance from 0.5 miles to 3.1 miles apart and only had water except one station at 11,2 miles had water and Gatorade.  There were plenty of friendly efficient volunteers at the stations.  I became quite dehydrated felt the lack of electrolyte replacement.  I actually stopped at the station that had Gatorade and drank 5 glasses which turned out to be a good decision because about ½ mile from the finish, the only other person in my age group tried to pass me.  My body was feeling the positive effects of the electrolyte replacement and I held him off to finish first in my age group.  This was the first time this half marathon was held and I enjoyed myself.








Before the Race





After the Race




Race Director, Michael Schyck




Post Race Entertainment


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home