Saturday, December 15, 2018


Jacksonville Half Marathon

Jacksonville, Florida

Saturday, December 15, 2018



Saturday, December 15, 2018 will be a day that I will long remember.  I completed the Jacksonville Half Marathon in Jacksonville, Florida.  The temperature remained in the upper 60’s with little wind and a soft misty off and on drizzle --- conditions that were actually pleasant to do the race.  Over the years I have completed the Jacksonville event 13 times (Full Marathon 6 times and Half Marathon 7 times).  The course is always almost entirely flat and advertised as fast.  Water/Gatorade stations are located from 1 to 1.5 miles apart and always have friendly efficient volunteers in good numbers.  The police have always wanted to get the event over in 6 hours and start closing lanes and moving participants to the side as early as an hour before the time limit.  This year was no different.  What made this year unique was that just before the start of the race the announcer stated that there was a 70 year old man that was going to attempt to set the WORLD RECORD for a 70 YEAR OLD MAN FINISHING A MARATHON.  I thought to myself “WOW! I wonder what time he needs.”  The cannon fired and the race began.  I did not think about the endeavor as I concentrated on my performance.  However, as I approached mile 10 which was near mile 23 in the marathon, a man about my age flew by me.  After checking my watch and doing some mathematical calculations, I said to myself: “He is going to break 3 hours”.  After I finished and rested, hydrated, and snacked, I saw race director and asked him if the 70 year old man had set a world record in the marathon.  He said “Yes, his name is: Gene Dykes and his time was: 2:54:23.”  I though the marathon awards ceremony is in a few minutes and perhaps I could meet the man and get his picture which turned out to be exactly what happened. 




Before The Packet Pick-up





Before The Race







Michael Reynolds
Chester "Southernmost Walker" Kalb





After The Race











Chester :Southernmost Walker" Kalb
Gene Dykes
WORLD RECORD HOLDER
MARATHON 70 YEAR OLD MAN








Brian Sweney
Gene Dykes





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home